Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Tale 2: My Favorite Cemetery

While I am sure there are countless wonderful cemeteries, I have to say that my absolute favorite is Cemitério do Araçá in Sao Paulo, Brasil. The cemetery is dense and reflects the congested city that it is ensconced in the center of. Gazing at the sea of tombs is akin to observing the ceaseless buildings, housing, and such that make up Sao Paulo. I did not see any ground crypts (as they are referred to here in the U.S.).  Families share a raised tomb and as the family members die they are interred in their respective tomb. The family of my father-in-law has one, which was what initially prompted our brief jaunt to the cemetery. However, these resting spots are rented. So, for my mother-in-law's side, because her sister forgot to pay the "rent," they have lost their tomb. My mother-in-law has no idea if her parents' bodies were relocated or disposed of in some other manner.

I am really looking forward to the next time we visit Brasil. I plan on spending a day or two just exploring Cemitério do Araçá.


http://screencast.com/t/pTXvpRxpC


http://www.screencast.com/users/CarolynAlves/folders/Jing/media/d377a43a-d8be-4594-b828-e820a6590438

1 comment:

  1. I have never heard of 'renting' tomb space before. How upsetting for the family to not know where the bodies of their family members are stored if the rent isn't paid. In New Orleans, I was surprised to learn that the bodies occupied what I think of as shelves and are dropped down into a pit as newer bodies take their place on the upper shelves.

    ReplyDelete